Nicotinamide has been added to the formulation of QV Baby Skin Lotion and QV Baby Moisturising Cream due to the following characteristics...
Nicotinamide or Vitamin B3, plays an active role in the maintenance of normal skin barrier function as well as skin repair.1 Within moisturisers, Nicotinamide is able to provide both basic dry skin relief and support skin barrier function to defend against factors which can contribute to skin sensitivity.1 Nicotinamide has been shown to have many benefits in topical applications, including;
- The anti-inflammatory properties of Nicotinamide have been demonstrated, particularly in acne cases.2
- Use of topical Nicotinamide has demonstrated a reduction in red blotchiness3, skin yellowness4 and hyper-pigmentation. 3
- An evident reduction in TEWL.4
- Increased stratum corneum hydration. 4
1. Grosick TL and Hollis V. Making sensitive skin less sensitive. J Am Acad Dermatol (Poster Abstracts) 2004; 50(3):P34.
2. Patterson CRS, Halliday GM, Barnetson R.StC and Damian DL. (ABSTRACT) Effect of topical nicotinamide (vitamin B3) on ultraviolet radiation-induced immunosupression in humans. Presented at the Australasian College of Dermatologists 38th Annual Meeting May 2005. Australasian Journal of Dermatology 2005; 46:A10-11.
3. Bissett DL, Miyamoto K, Sun P et al. Topical niacinamide reduces yellowing, wrinkling, res blotchiness and hyperpigmented spots in aging facial skin. International Journal of Cosmetic Science 2004; 26:231-238.
4. Gensler HL. Prevention of photosimmunosuppression and photocarcinogenesis by topical nicotinamide. Nutritiion and Cancer 1997; 29(2):157-162.